Teen’s dream comes true with a book deal

by | Parenting with Courage

Emily HartEmily is gutsy, tender, and super creative. During Covid-19 lockdown, and in her Matric year at Rhenish Girls High School, Emily set about securing a publishing contract for her debut novel, Exposed. Done all on her own, she relentlessly submitted proposals all over the world. Within a couple of weeks, she heard back from Europa Books and set about finalizing the contract and manuscript details.
 
 
 
And so, during an unprecedented season of our lifetime, she fulfilled one of her childhood dreams and goals: To be a published author before she turned 18.
 
 
 
Now if this isn’t a message to dream big, then I don’t know what is…
 
 
 
I got her to answer a few questions for me. Let’s do a deep dive into the mind of a teenager…
 
 

What was your inspiration for this novel?

Simply my love to write!

Tell us about your dream of becoming a published author?

I’ve been writing short stories and coming up with creative plotlines since a young age. When I was in grade six, I wrote down that my dream and goal in life was to be a published author by the end of matric. I’m goal-orientated, so it kept me busy with a purpose and gives me the motivation to keep pursuing my dreams. My parents have always encouraged and supported my goals – they actually pushed me to keep going even when I didn’t think I could, so they really did help me realize my dream.

 
Give us a glimpse into the book?

Exposed by Emily Hart‘Exposed’ follows the journey of Nate Evans, a detective who just wants more coffee and a holiday. Yet after he is called to solve a case where the only witness is an old close friend, Samantha Grey, he soon finds himself sinking in memories of a past he’s tried hard to bury. As the two of them are forced to put their differences aside to solve the murder, they are led down dark township alleyways, through drug dealer territory, and into the box of a cold case. But that’s only the beginning of the decade of mysteries being unearthed between them…

 

What message would you give to aspiring teen authors?

Dream big! God knows our dreams, and He goes with us every step of the way, cheering us on.

 
What was your biggest obstacle in getting this book published?

Probably self-doubt. I’ve had so many setbacks, from getting my manuscript stolen on a laptop and wiped, to having major writer’s block. I’ve wondered before if it was possible to reach my goal, but I really do believe that through hard work (and lots of prayer!) and keeping a big picture mindset, anything is possible.

 
How do you keep yourself motivated?

Some days writing feels like the most natural and easy thing in the world when the words just flow and the plot ideas connect together so effortlessly. But other days it’s hard work, and I do it even when I don’t feel like doing it. I’d say about 10% is inspiration, but the other 90% really is just practice, hard work, and keeping the dream alive!

 
What is your biggest dream at the moment for your future?Teen secure book deal

I’m currently working on my second novel and it’s a project I’ve been creating for many, many years. It really is something close to my heart and is a story I can’t wait to share with the world. My next dream is to get this one published too and keep going with my writing, my studies, and having a fun first year of varsity!

Where can we find you?

My Instagram page is where you can follow me, or else you can email me at [email protected]

 
Who are your inspirations for writing? And Why

Authors such as Dee Henderson and Dani Pettrey – they’re authors who really inspire me to keep my writing true to my values and beliefs.

My parents are also a big inspiration for me – they show me what it means to be tenacious and have grit throughout all situations.

 
Tell the readers something interesting about you…something different?

I love to paint, play guitar and passionately tell people about our five chickens.

 
What are some of your favourite books, movies or quotes?

I love the Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner series, they inspire me to write stories that ask ‘what if’ and use the power of storytelling to challenge society and build bridges between people of all kinds.

 

 
Favorite book quote: “If you don’t see the book you want on the shelf, write it.” -Beverly Cleary
 

 

Emily’s book is sold in Italy, France, Spain, England, and Germany. If you’re in South Africa and you would like a copy, please order one here (limited stock available)

Follow

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This